Saturday, August 13, 2011

Is it customary for auto dealer repair garages to charge for parts before installation?

My check engine light came on my 2002 Honda Civic (100,500 miles). The dealership repair garage charged me $50 to diagnose the problem (get the engine code). Come to find out, it was something about a leak in the charcoal canister in the emission line. Then they said because my car was so old, they couldn't get the exact part I needed because they're not made any more, but they could install a "kit" which cost $90. It was kind of like a work-around "kit" so they could byp the canister. They didn't have one in stock, but would order it if I paid for it beforehand. Then I'd only have to pay the $130 for labor to install. However, they couldn't even guarantee that this would fix the problem. I have to have this fixed or my car won't p inspection and only a Honda dealer can do it. I wanted to know if that is a reasonable price to pay for a diagnostic test? It is the usual practice to charge a customer for parts even before they are installed? Should I be wary because they are so unsure about the repair? Any other advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment